Tuesday, September 2, 2008

TWD: Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters



This week's Tuesdays with Dorie selection is from Stephany of Proceed with Caution. She chose for us to bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters. You can find the complete recipe here. This a very simple oatmeal cookie recipe with peanut butter and chocolate chips added to the batter. The original recipe states that it will make 60 cookies, I definitely don't need that many cookies around the house, so I halved the recipe.

The main problems I read that other people were having with the recipe was that the peanut butter flavor was too subtle, the cinnamon flavor was too prominent, and the cookies spread out too much while baking. These were the substitutions I made to the halved recipe.

-I reduced the butter amount by 2 tablespoons and added 2 extra tablespoons of peanut butter.
-I halved the amount of white sugar in the recipe, because with the extra peanut butter I did not want the cookies to be too sweet.
-I also eliminated the nutmeg and reduced the amount of cinnamon the recipe called for by half.
-The halved recipe makes about 25 cookies.


Notes: These cookies turned out great. The cookies took about 15 minutes total to bake, and they didn't spread out too much while baking. The peanut butter flavor in the cookie was just the right amount, not too much at all. These cookies are very dense and rich. You can't eat more than one or two at a time. I think this particular recipe is a good twist on the chocolate chip cookie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great adjustments! And they look AMAZING!

Molly Loves Paris said...

It's so amazing how different people are. I would like a little less peanut butter and a little more spices, and I'd add pecans or walnuts. But isn't it nice that recipes aren't scientific formulas.

Jules Someone said...

Your changes sound excellent! I wasn't planning on making these again, but I may have to re-think it.

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

We halved our recipe also, it made anout 30 I think.

Great looking cookies, glad you liked them!