Sunday, September 7, 2008

Creamy Red Cabbage Cole Slaw



I harvested my first head of red cabbage from my garden recently, and I decided to make cole slaw for a family gathering. For years, I didn't eat cole slaw. I always found it to be overly sweet. But recently I have began to try different versions, and it has really grown on me. I especially love cole slaw on top a pulled pork barbecue sandwich. Just delicious. This is a recipe for a very simple, mild cole slaw. It's not too sweet and not to vinegary. Feel free to play with the amounts of mayonnaise or vinegar or sugar to adjust to your own personal taste. For the size of my head of cabbage, these were the right amounts to coat the cabbage and carrots without being too heavy. I don't like when all you can taste is mayonnaise and not the vegetables.


  • 1 large head of cabbage, outer leaves and core removed, coarsely chopped (I planted red cabbage this year, but green cabbage would work as well)
  • 2 large carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 sour cream (or light sour cream)
  • 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
  • Juice from 1 lemon (or 1/2 lemon if you don't want the sauce to be tart)
  • 2 tablespoons milk (I used non-fat milk)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • salt and pepper
-In one bowl mix the cabbage and carrots together.
-In a separate bowl mix the next seven ingredients together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
-Adjust seasonings to your own personal taste and add enough of the sauce to the cabbage and carrots to just coat the vegetables. Depending on the size of your cabbage head and carrots, you may not need all of the sauce, so add large spoonfuls one at a time and mix thoroughly until you reach the desired consistency of your coleslaw. I found using tongs to distribute the sauce works very well without damaging the texture of the cabbage and the carrots.
-Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow the flavors blend. Enjoy!

3 comments:

M. Tamminga (@oneaprilday) said...

Looks like a great coleslaw variation, Sarah! I've made a couple of batches of coleslaw in the past couple of weeks with cabbages from our neighbor's garden, and your recipe looks similar to mine. I didn't add lemon juice or sour cream though - nice ideas.

Emily said...

Congrats on your cabbage.

A pulled pork sammich with slaw sounds really good!

Sadly, my mom hates cole slaw, so I didn't grow up with it.

Trent said...

Yoour the best