Monday, July 14, 2008

My First Post: Mini Citrus Bundt Cakes


I wasn't sure what was going to be my first post, but as fate would have it, my new cookbook, How to be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson arrived in the mail today. Therefore, I decided to adapt the mini bundt cake recipe found within this cookbook (also because I had all of the ingredients on hand). These mini bundt cakes are light, yogurt-based cakes, with a hint of citrus.


Cakes:
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used non-fat plain yogurt)
1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
zest of one lemon and one lime
1 cup plus 1 Tbsp. flour, sifted
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt (I used kosher salt)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
milk, if needed


Icing:
Juice from 1 lemon and 1 lime
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (or more depending on desired consistency of icing)


Directions:
-
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
-Coat 4 mini bundt cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
-In one bowl, mix the melted butter, yogurt, eggs, and the zest (don't worry if the mixture appears curdled, this is just due to the combination of butter and yogurt).
-In a separate bowl, sift flour and baking soda, then combine with salt and granulated sugar.
-Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just incorporated. Be careful not to overmix the batter or the cake will become dense. I added about 2 Tbsp. of milk to thin the batter a bit because it seemed too thick to me.
-Divide the batter equally into 4 mini bundt cake pans and gently tap the pans on the counter to level the batter then place on a baking sheet.
-Bake cakes for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
-Let the cakes cool in the pans for about 5 minutes then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
-After the cakes have cooled, drizzle the icing over the cakes and enjoy!


My dog Riley, checking out the cake.


Notes: I really liked these mini cakes. I actually added the icing to one of the cakes when it was still warm, and the icing formed a bit of a sweet crust on the cake which was nice. The cakes were a bit "eggy", so next time I might eliminate one of the yolks or add more flour. Other than that, they make a great, summer treat.

1 comment:

alex said...

That covetous look on the dog's face says it all. Beautiful picture.