Tuesday, January 27, 2009

TWD: Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread



This week's Tuesdays with Dorie is from Heather of Sherry Trifle She chose for us to bake the Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread from Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan. The recipe can be found here. I made a few substitutions to the recipe. I used whole wheat pastry flour for half of the flour called for in the recipe. Also, instead of using the stem ginger in syrup (I couldn't find any), I used crystallized ginger. I didn't make the chocolate glaze for the top of the gingerbread, because when I tried a piece without it, I thought that the gingerbread was sweet enough and the chocolate in the bread was very pronounced, so I didn't want to overpower the ginger flavor. The gingerbread took about 55 minutes to fully bake, about 15 minutes longer than the recipe states. I really liked this gingerbread, it had a subtle but pronounced ginger flavor, and the spices are just right. The chocolate is a nice addition, and it is a nice change to traditional gingerbreads. I will be making it again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked it. I loved this recipe it was so good.

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! I'm glad you liked it.

TeaLady said...

It was good wasn't it. Yours looks just right with that cup of coffee(?).

Jules Someone said...

That looks lovely. We really enjoyed it at my house.