Sunday, June 2, 2013

Roast Chicken with Potatoes, Lemon, and Asparagus


I can't believe it has been over a year since I have last posted a recipe!  A lot of things have happened in this past year.  I got engaged, moved all the way across the country from Cincinnati, OH, to Denver, CO, ended a postdoctoral fellowship, and started a new job. These last 3-4 months especially have been so hectic.  When I moved back to Cincinnati after graduate school, I moved into a 3 bedroom house.  After living there for 5 years, I think I tried to fill every available space because packing up that house was a monstrous job.  Fortunately, I donated and got rid of a bunch of stuff, but it still was a haul to move everything across the country.  I can't thank my dad, my uncle, and our friend Mark for driving the moving truck through breakdowns, unexpected stops in Columbia, MO, and bad weather.



This dish was one that I could make on a weeknight that wouldn't take too long to prepare, and it cooks in one dish, which makes clean up a breeze.  When I first made this, I used a whole chicken that I broke down myself, but believe me, it's much easier to just buy a chicken that is already cut up into 8 pieces.  With the lemon and asparagus, it is perfect recipe for spring/summer, make it while the asparagus is still in season, you won't regret it!




Roast Chicken with Potatoes, Lemon, and Asparagus
    adapted from Martha Stewart
    serves 4

  • 1 1/2 small new potatoes, halved or quartered if potatoes are large
  • 4 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
  • 1 chicken cut up into 8 pieces (about 3 lbs)
  • 1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-3 inch pieces
  • 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
  • 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.  Place the potatoes and half the butter in a roasting pan (I used a 9 x 13 glass pan), scatter the garlic cloves over the potatoes and season with salt and pepper and dried thyme.  Roast the potatoes, tossing once, until the potatoes are golden, 20 to 25 minutes.

Place chicken, skin side up, on top of potatoes; season with salt and pepper.  Roast until chicken begins to brown, about 20 minutes.  

Scatter the asparagus, lemon, and remaining butter around the chicken.  Roast until the asparagus is tender and the juices on the chicken run clear, about 10-15 more minutes.  Serve chicken, vegetables, and lemon drizzled with pan juices.  

Notes:  Be sure to squeeze the lemons over the whole dish, the roasting mellows the acidity, and really brightens the dish.  

I hope to get back to posting more regularly now that I am settled into my new place.  I hope you try this dish and enjoy!











3 comments:

Joanna said...

Hello! :)

I have read your blog and I really liked your recipes! I work for a website called myTaste.com and I would love for you to join us!

www.mytaste.com is a search engine that collects food blogs. We already have over 3000 blogs and if you join us you will take benefit from the trafic that we are sending to your blog.

Hopefully with your recipes your blog will be on the top of the food blogs list! If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me at info@mytaste.com

To join myTaste, just go to www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog

Best regards,
Joanna
mytaste.com

Scot Martin said...

The main functions of a kitchen are to store, prepare and cook food and to complete related tasks such as dishwashing.clogged frigidaire dishwasher

Anonymous said...

I like your article in which way you are explaining that I am also working on my new linving ideas and decoration https://livingsideas.com/