After a long weekend hiking and backpacking at North Manitou Island (see pictures below), I wanted to prepare something healthy and light to take for lunch over the next few days. I got home late today, so I didn't have time to go to the grocery store, so I was stuck with what I had in the fridge and the pantry. I had some red peppers and carrots in the fridge, so I decided to combine them with a can of chickpeas and a packet of Herb and Garlic Starkist Tuna Creations. I tossed in some capers and some fresh parsley and added a dijon-lemon vinaigrette, and I ended up with something quite healthy and tasty. The sweetness of the carrots and red peppers balances nicely with the tanginess of the capers and lemon juice. I think this simple salad makes a great lunch when you want something healthy and filling.
Chickpea and Tuna Salad
For the salad:
- 1-15oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-4.5 oz pouch of Herb and Garlic Starkist Tuna Creations
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced baby carrots (I used a mandoline, just be very careful because the carrots are so small)
- 1/4 finely diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- salt and freshly ground pepper
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
In a medium sized bowl combine the chickpeas, tuna, carrots, red bell pepper, parsley and capers, set aside while making the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice and the Dijon mustard together to form a smooth mixture then slowly drizzle in the olive oil to make a complete emulsion. Pour the vinaigrette over the chickpea and tuna salad and toss to coat the salad. Season to taste with salt and pepper.