I love Nutella. For those who don't know, it is basically smooth hazelnut butter with cocoa added to it. It is delectable, and when I saw this recipe for Nutella Rice Krispie Treats over at Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy, I knew I had to make them.
This bars are very easy to make, just like the original Rice Krispies Treats, but with the addition of Nutella. It makes the bars a bit richer, a bit chewier, and ultimately more delicious.
Keep in mind, when you add the Nutella to the melted marshmallows and melted butter, it makes the marshmallows harder to stir than the typical recipe, and you need to make sure the Nutella is incorporated into the marshmallows before you add the Rice Krispies. Also, the original recipe calls for you to use a 9 x13-inch pan, but I like my Rice Krispies Treats to be thick, so I use an 8 x 8-inch pan, and I just cut smaller squares than I would when using a 9 x 13-inch pan. This results in a denser, chewier treat, but you can use either pan you like.
Nutella Rice Krispies Treats
Makes one 9 x 13 or one 8 x 8 inch pan
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 package (10 oz.) regular marshmallows
- 1 cup Nutella
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Stir in Nutella until fully incorporated.
- Add cereal. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until they are well coated with the Nutella/marshmallow mixture. It helps to spray a little nonstick cooking spray on the spoon to keep it from sticking.
- Using a sheet of wax paper, evenly press mixture into a 13 x 9-inch or 8 x 8-inch pan. (I just coated my fingers with a little non-stick spray and used them to press down the treats.)