Thursday, November 18, 2010

CEiMB: Cioppino



This week's pick is from Margaret of Tea and Scones.  She chose for us to make the Cioppino from So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week by Ellie Krieger.  Cioppino is fish stew originally from San Francisco.  It is a tomato-based broth that has wine and garlic added to it.  Ellie's recipe called for a combination of scallops, shrimp, and halibut.


Unfortunately, my stew only contained scallops and halibut.  I thought I had frozen shrimp at home, but when I got home from the store with the scallops, I went  in the freezer to get out the halibut, but there was no shrimp.  So, scallop and halibut cioppino it was. 

I really liked the flavor of the broth.  It had a rich tomato taste, and I enjoyed the heat from the crushed red pepper.  I added a bit of smoked paprika as well to give the broth a hint of smoke.  I thought it was a nice touch.  I do have to say that as much as I like the broth flavor, I didn't think that flavor infused into seafood.  The seafood was a bit bland, but overall I did like the dish.  I think the broth would also be good with some pasta and some Italian sausage, but I would substitute the fish broth with beef broth.  Thanks to Margaret for hosting this week, and be sure to check out the blogroll to see what the other bloggers did this week!

4 comments:

Peggy said...

Yours looks so red and rich in color! Tasty. We really liked this, but I had to use chicken instead of the fish. It was good.

Joanne said...

Peggy said right - your dish looks so rich - delicious.
I love fish, cioppino, seafood fra diavlo...you name it anyway so this recipe was sure to be a winner for me.

Liz said...

I really enjoyed this as a fish stew but your idea of sausage and pasta sounds delicious too! Looks great.

TeaLady said...

It was easy to make and I did enjoy the flavors, but just wasn't what I expected.

Glad you enjoyed. And thanks for cooking with me this week.