This week's Tuesdays with Dorie is from Kelly of Baking with the Boys . She chose for us to bake the Fresh Mango Bread from Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan. The recipe can be found here. I have never been a huge fan of mangoes. Either I get one, and it's not ripe enough and too sour, or it just seems to have an "off" flavor for me. Nevertheless, I still keep tasting them, hoping that one day I will find that "magic" mango that will turn things around for me. So I was excited to try the Fresh Mango Bread. It's a pretty simple recipe, you don't even have to use a mixer, just a whisk and a wooden spoon. The dough is a little thick, but it eventually came together.
I made a few substitutions/alterations to the original recipe.
- I decreased the amount of white sugar from 1 cup to 1/2 cup. It just seemed like too much for me, and it would make the bread too sweet.
- I decreased the amount of ginger from 1 1/2 teaspoons to 1 teaspoon.
- I didn't have any golden raisins so I chopped up 1/2 cup of dried apricots and used them instead.
- I didn't use one loaf pan, I used 4 mini-loaf pans.
- I used the leftover lime zest and lime juice and made a glaze with powdered sugar to spread over the bread.
- Since I used mini-loaf pans, I decreased the baking time to 40 minutes.