Tuesday, January 6, 2009

TWD: French Pear Tart




Tuesdays with Dorie is celebrating its one year anniversary. I have been lucky enough to have been a participant since July. For the anniversary, Dorie herself was gracious enough to choose this week's recipe. She chose for us to bake the French Pear Tart from her book Baking: From My Home to Yours. Dorie has posted the recipe on her website. I made a few substitutions for this recipe. I had a leftover frozen pie crust from the holidays, so I used that instead of the recipe for the tart dough. For the almond cream, I substituted 8 ounces of almond paste for the ground almonds and the sugar called for in the recipe. I used a stand mixer instead of a food processor, and the cream came together just fine.


I liked this tart a lot. I thought that the pears and the almonds went well together. I used canned pears, but next time I would like to try the poached pears. I think that it would be a better texture to contrast with the texture of the almond cream. I will definitely try this recipe again, but next time I will try the original recipe with the tart crust and the poached pears. I might also add a bit of spice to the recipe as well, maybe cinnamon or ginger.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your tart looks yummy! Great job.

Me said...

Hey Sarah! My mom just called to tell me about your blog. She was talking to her Aunt Thelma (your grandma) and she told her you had a cooking blog too. I guess Aunt Donna reads both of them. I can't wait to check out your blog more and try some of your recipes! Mine is getting so behind, I have a ton of pictures and recipes just no time to post them! - Your second cousin Crista (Lionel Haid's grandaughter)

Emily said...

Mmm, this tart looks delicious. I haven't made anything with pears this year. :(

TeaLady said...

Tart looks really tasty. Yummy!